A hair closure is a significant component of a wig. It is a piece of fabric often made of lace or silk, and the material is usually attached to human hair. A hair bundle with closure is often used to protect your natural hairline. The best closures provide a realistic scalp-like look and have a longer lifespan. There are various types of closures that will be discussed in this post.
Types of closures
There are three primary types of tape closures. They are:
1. Lace closures
Lace closures are the most popular type of closure. They are usually available in a wide range of sizes. However, the most popular size is the four by four size lace closure. Note that lace closures can be made from different materials, like silk. The best lace closures are constructed to resemble the natural human scalp. This helps give a natural appearance. Lace closures come in three types. They are:
- One part lace closures, also known as the middle part (they can only be parted in the middle or on one side)
- Three-part lace closures (they can be parted in three parts)
- Free part (you can part the hair however you wish)
2. Lace frontals
Lace frontals are also quite popular. This is because they are very versatile. Lace frontals usually run from one ear to the other. In simpler terms, the lace closures cover your entire hairline. It is also worth mentioning that lace frontals are usually larger than lace closures because they feature a size of about thirteen by four inches. Their size allows you to style them without any limitations.
360-lace frontals are headband laces with hair strands attached to them. This means that the lace surrounds your entire hairline. This makes it great for wearing a wide range of hairstyles, including up-do styles, like ponytails. They also allow you to experiment with hairstyles like braids and twists. These closures provide the most natural look as they replicate your natural hairline. This is also why they are the most expensive type of closure on the market.
How are closures attached?
There is more than one method for attaching closures. The most popular methods are:
- Gluing- this is where you use hair glue to attach the closure. This method is commonly used for attaching frontal and lace closures. It is an ideal choice because it holds the wig or hair bundle firmly in place.
- Sewing in- you can also attach your closure by sewing it in place. You can sew it on a cap or braids, depending on the type of hair you are working with. This is an excellent method if you plan on wearing the hair bundle for a while because attaching it and removing it may take time. It also needs to be done by a professional.
- Taping down- as the title suggests, this method involves the use of tape. It is easy to achieve, and the tape helps hold the hair perfectly in place.
Note that the type of closure typically affects the method of attachment applied. It also affects the price of the hairpiece and how it can be worn. The most common materials for hair closures are lace and silk because they offer the most realistic appearance.